Friday, December 19, 2008

A Dame Named Redd -- Featured ArtFire Artisan


I have a confession to make. I love kitsch. My home is pretty tasteful (but then, I guess we all think that, eh?) but my home studio is something else :) That's where I collect my funky 1950s lamps (I've got one with a panther on its base), my portraits of the Queen and that's where my most prized possession is displayed: a paint-by-numbers version of Leonard da Vinci's The Last Supper, bought at a Goodwill store in Toronto for $8. ( I'm still looking for an Elvis on black velvet ...)

This personal quirk of taste is one reason I freaked out when I saw the above cameo by A Dame Named Redd at ArtFire.

I always used to have a pink flamingo somewhere in my apartment. I realize that this is not unusual for people in their 20s, but mine stayed with me until I was 40 :) This cameo made me feel a tiny bit nostalgic for those days ...

And how about this Bad Ass Skull and Crossbones Cameo Necklace? I love the Halloween colours and the bold statement it makes: "I'm a bad ass and I don't care who knows it". And yet, it possesses a kitschy elegance all its own. The Dame also makes Tetris earrings which I think are a must-have for geeky fashionistas everywhere.

A Dame Named Redd lives in Ottawa (yay, Canada!) Here's a bit of what she says about herself:

I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. I love knitting, crocheting, beads, painting. I also stencil shirts and sew a little. I even have my own studio in my house that I share with my Holland Lop, Chloe.
All this, and a bunny, too. That's cool.

Here are her links:

Dame Named Redd ArtFire Studio

Dame Named Redd Etsy Shop
Dame Named Redd Website
Dame Named Redd Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment