Sunday, December 21, 2008

Leader of Men -- Featured ArtFire Artisan



Today's Featured Artisan is Alexandra, a.k.a. Leader Of Men, from Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada. There's a lovely, clean aesthetic going on here, as you can see from her Anomaly Ring, pictured above, made to order in sterling silver with two differently-sized little cups catching the light.
I am a self-taught jewellery designer with a background in architecture and design. All of my jewellery is handmande by me in my own little fortress in beautiful British Columbia, Canada, under the watchful eye of my helpful houserabbit, Attila the Bun.

I work primarily in precious metals and semi-precious stones. My designs are inspired both by my architectural background and the colours and textures of the lush Pacific Northwest.
(By the way, I've been choosing the artists to feature here from my hotlist on ArtFire. I swear I didn't try to find two Canadians in a row who were assisted in their artistic endeavours by rabbits :) (see Dame Named Redd, below). Who knew bunnies were so pivotal in the history of arts and crafts?)




This is the Wealh Necklace, which features soft blue-green aquamarine rounds mix with walnut-shaped vintage rosewood beads. No, that name is not a typo (that was the copy editor in me, wanting to insert what I thought was a missing "t" :) :

"Wealh" is from the Old English word meaning walnut. These beads are beautifully carved to show the wood's lovely grain, and are extremely limited in supply. Links and s-clasp are sterling silver.
Tactile, clean, simple -- elegant function meeting perfect design. That's the work of Leader of Men.

Leader of Men ArtFire Studio

Leader of Men Blog
Leader of Men Etsy Store

No comments:

Post a Comment