Friday, December 26, 2008

ImagineStudio -- Featured ArtFire Artisan


When I saw the work above (Madame Paris Pantheon) on the front page of ArtFire, I was riveted. Canadian artist, Lise Marion of ImagineStudios, describes her work as "digital photo fusion collages". Often beginning with the work of the great artists of the past, her pieces are layered, altered, and heightened through digital techniques, and then printed on archival papers with archival inks.

She says of herself:
My professional background is in visual and creative arts as well as in social work. I presently live in the Montreal region where I share my life with the loves of my life, my husband and my two daughters. I’ve been creative all my life…literally. It all started with feeling the mud between my toes on the farm in the Canadian prairies where I was born and spent my childhood. Creativity is definitely a passion with me. In that sense, my artwork is neither a job nor a hobby but a need. The ideas just keep coming and I continuously strive to bring them to life.
Through more than 30 years, my one constant expression in art has been Collage, and for the past five years I have been working on transferring this art form into the digital world. Layers upon layers of thoughts, emotions and research have been turned into transparencies, textures, colours, depth, emotions, portraitures, etc. This virtual digital world of seemingly endless possibilities has given me a new take on my artwork, allowing me to pursue even further my undying need to produce lyrical, evocative and sometimes provocative images.

The piece above is called "Waiting for Spring". I love the contrast between the two works I've selected for this feature (there are many, many more exquisite works in her ArtFire Studio): the first is quite vivid and saturated in a photographic way, the second softer and more painterly. They both share a great sense of repressed emotion bubbling to the surface, and they both contain many details that are not evident on first viewing.

I encourage you to explore Lise's work at ArtFire.

ImagineStudio's ArtFire Studio

ImagineStudio's Etsy Shop

2 comments:

  1. I have to get some of her work. I don't know why, but I never came across her at Etsy. That's one of the cool things about ArtFire -- I'm finding people who have been around for a long time but whose work I've missed.

    ReplyDelete